Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Bone Broth

Well here it is March already and we sure have taken a beating this winter.  If your household looks anything like mine someone in your family had influenza back in December, maybe some RSV in January, strep in February (February Fun!) and now enters the dragging head cold.  And if your brain looks anything like mine you are swirling with thoughts of de-cluttering, spring cleaning, prepping for garage sales, organizing, DIY projects, gardening, painting....and you can't do any of it!  Brain is revving on overdrive but body wants to stay under the covers and watch TLC.  This is simply not working.  My brain has plans and it needs my body...rightnow.  And don't even talk to me about the snow.  Oh dear Lord the snow.  The SNOW!!!!!

Let's calm down and focus on what we CAN do.  We can rest.  We can drown ourselves in fluid (non-alcoholic, I know it's mothergrabbin snowing AGAIN but alcohol will not make your cold go away.  That's for later.).  Lastly, we can treat our bodies to broth.  I'm not talking about cracking open a can of Swanson's or even the fancy boxed organic stuff.  I'm talking about rolling up your sleeves and throwing a chicken in a pot broth.  There are loads of great tutorials on how to do it (though do we really need a tutorial?  Get a chicken <free range, organic please>...get a pot...fill it with water...cook it all day).  But if you prefer directions follow the how-to here: http://wellnessmama.com/5888/how-to-make-bone-broth-tutorial/

I like to crack it open to help release all of the goodness from the bones.  You can see all that glorious fat at the surface of the water.  Goooooodness.


Some of you already make bone broth and broth-based soups and maybe even regularly (go you!).  Did you ever feel guilty about all of the fat in a home made broth?  Don't.  This stuff is pure gold for your gut, immune system and brain.  Here's a great article that explains why: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/12/16/bone-broth-benefits.aspx

So go get a chicken, throw it in a pot of water and feel better!  You'll be back to drowning your polar vortex sorrows over wine in no time.

6 comments:

  1. I just did this in the crockpot the other day and am going to make some pea soup today and some chicken noodle soup later in the week--hoping you guys are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite home remedies! It's nutricious and delicious! I think I'll stop at Hen House and grab a few local birds to de-marrow ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure Melissa! We need all we can get right now with this terrible weather.

      Delete
  3. I should do this... but for some reason I find myself scared to try stuff like this?!? No clue why!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tys you seriously open the chicken, pull the little bag out and throw it in a pot of water. I simmer it all day long. Then skim out the carcass (yum?) and pour the water through a screen strainer. Broth back in pot and you're done! You can use the meat for soup or just save it for something else. We go mostly for the breast meat which is pretty much the only thing in tact after simmering all day. Some people say you should put the bones back in and keep simmering to get the full effect but I'm fine with the accelerated method. The pic I shared is a bit on the grotesque side which I'm sure helps a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete